The Senior Estimator is responsible for providing exceptional customer service to patrons and potential customers throughout the request for quote (RFQ), estimating and ordering processes. This is achieved by providing professional and prompt communication, timeliness and offering competitive price quotations, delivering appropriate follow-up and ensuring order entries are comprehensive. A senior estimator’s success is evaluated on their customer service, quote output and sales.
Responsibilities: This list is not all inclusive
- Oversee and manage the estimating process.
- Train and mentor junior level estimators.
- Lead and direct activities of all Estimating Department personnel.
- Collect and understand all customer requirements/needs.
- Compare requirements and needs to our capabilities and capacities to determine if we can meet customer requests and if not, what it would take to meet the challenge.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and outside resources to obtain information necessary to estimate costs.
- Produce competitive price quotations in a timely manner, typically within 1 business day.
- Maintain appropriate communication with customer on quote status.
- Follow-up on quotes to gain feedback on your performance and to complete sale.
- Enter sales orders accurately.
- Build clear and complete work order routers detailing all customer and product requirements.
- Oversee and monitor the Estimating Department’s quote win percentage and sales and continually improve these metrics.
- Uphold a positive and professional company image.
- Maintain knowledge of Sharpe’s capacity, capabilities, possibilities and/or limitations of our manufacturing processes.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of trends and technology of the industry.
- Meet sales goals while maintaining profit margin.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required; Bachelor’s or Associate’s preferred.
- Required: At least 2-5 years of work experience in an estimator function within a manufacturing environment. Should be combined with a demonstrated track record of accomplishments.
- Experience in the metal fabrication industry preferred.
- Ability to read part prints.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking ability along with the capacity to interpret data and make recommendations
- Must have math skills including multiplication, division, percentages, fractions, conversion of units of measure.
- Computer skills: web navigation, document scanning, typing, Excel, Word, Outlook, Microsoft Office application competency, experience with other company specific program(s). We use Global Shop; we provide in-house training.
- Effective and professional communication skills-verbal and written.
- Detail oriented and ability to multitask.
- Time management skills, ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to handle stressful situations such as heavy/varying workload and order accuracy.
- Work in a fast-paced-team environment, flexibility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger; and reach with hands and arms.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. At times, may go out onto the production floor to consult with Shop Manager/employees. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.